Zac Medico wrote:

[snip]

>>Once the buffer fills up would you expect it to work
>>fine at 1.2MB/s? I
>>wish I had kept the logs, but it was extremely slow
>>(much slower than
>>1.2). I was copying a series of ~70MB files over and
>>it would work fine
>>on about the first 5 or so files before croaking. I
>>eventually had to
>>kill the job.
>

> Hi Alec,
>
> I suspect Richard is right on.  If you run "free"
> before your start the copy and then again after the
> burst you should see that it simply ate up the
> available memory.  You should do a real benchmark,
> possibly including hdparm.

I did try running hdparm at one point, but it seemed to hang. However I
I have subsequently run hdparm on the drive connected to another machine
and it worked ok. I'll definitely try to find a time to move the drive
back to the server and do some more testing. I never thought to check
memory usage while I was messing with it.

> If there is really a problem then hopefully you will
> see some errors in dmesg or the syslog
> (/var/log/messages).  You may need to enable debugging
> for the filesystem and/or usb-storage driver.
>
> Zac

I'm pasting some output from syslog in another post...