Tim Igoe wrote:

> Jon Le Miere wrote:
>
>>Maybe im in dream land (happens often) but I have a number of Gentoo
>>machines here that execute PHP scripts via the webserver (apache,
>>lighttpd) when marked as read only, is that normal? I remembered a time
>>when you tried going to a php script in your browser and it was marked
>>as read only (chmoded 400) it would display a 403.
>>

> I've never had to have a PHP script +x for it to work through the
> webserver, as i udnerstand it the webserver reads teh script and does
> whatever it is told to internally with it.

Interesting, so it appears I am insane after all.

> Is it possible you were using PHP as a CGI module or something ? I've
> never tried so I don't know if it handles it differently

No, I havent used that until recently, but I do have a server that runs
PHP as CGI and it doesnt need +x either.

>>Is this still meant to happen and I have something wrong on all my
>>machines? Or do you not need PHP scripts to be executable in order to be
>>executed via the webserver?
>

> PHP scripts don't need to be +x to run.
>

>>If it helps, its php-4.3.11/mod_php-4.3.11 that are involved.
>>

> I've never seen it needed, but i've only been using PHP since version
> 4.3.0 i think it was

Its most likely that I just imagined it or got something mixed up. I
only noticed it as I had to disable a script today so I chmod -x the
script, tested it and it still worked, so I tried it on all my servers
and they all acted the same.

Anyway thanks, at least I know the problem was me and not something
wrong with my setup.