Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 6/13/05, Zac Medico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>Hi Mark,
>>
>>These 2 sections of the CUPS manual are relevant:
>>
>>http://localhost:631/sam.html#CLIENT_SERVER
>>http://localhost:631/sam.html#CLIENT_AUTO
>>
>>Zac
>

> Hi Zac,
>    First, as always, thanks!
>
>    OK, in reading through these two secions it seems that these are
> for making the printer which resides on the machine 'Christmas'
> visible by other machines primarily on the same subnet. Correct?
>
>    I'm trying to get it going using an ipp address for the server but
> so far the printer doesn't budge and the client says the printer is
> busy. Possibly I have a port blocked ro something like that? The
> server is an FC2 machine. (The last one in the hosue. If that's the
> problem it will be Gentoo in a few days!)
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

The server needs to be listening (Listen and Port directives) and if you're
using iptables then you need to allow TCP and UDP on port 631 (it's a good idea
to log all dropped packets for debugging).  Assuming that's done, check the
CUPS logs under /var/log/cups.  You can increase verbosity with the LogLevel
directive.

Zac