A. Khattri schreef:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Holly Bostick wrote:
>

>>I just want cron (generally) to mail any output to me via my regular
>>ISP, rather than to root, via the local mailspool.
>

> Forgot to mention: Im assuming you have ssmtp installed (as well as
> mailx). As far as sending the email, you will have to edit
> /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf and /etc/ssmtp/revaliases to direct the email to the
> right place - this can also be used to send email through your ISPs
> server.
>
> # more /etc/ssmtp/revaliases
>
> # sSMTP aliases
> #
> # Format:       local_account:outgoing_address:mailhub
> #
> # Example: root:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:mailhub.your.domain[:port]
> # where [:port] is an optional port number that defaults to 25.
> ajai:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:mail.bway.net
>
> So email sent to the local "ajai" account is sent through my ISP to my
> bway.net mailbox.
>
> I have options in /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf so email to "root" or "postmaster"
> is sent to the "ajai" account (and hence forwarded to the right place).

Thanks, I just installed mailx (mostly to get the man page, since the
homepage is debian.org, and that's not much help), and I'll look into
the ssmtp config in about 2 minutes. I really have no interest in having
or maintaining anything even remotely like a mail server, but since I
already have this transfer agent by default, I might as well configure
it. Phooey.

But your mention of bway.net reminds me of something I wanted to ask
you-- are you in NYC? I was a bway.net customer before I left New York,
so it made me wonder. I found them a great little ISP, and if you are in
the city, find a reason to drop by their office downtown-- they have
(Nerf) toys (or at least they did when I was there)!

lol

Holly