Thaks, all -- I now have a new Java, and know about a few new
utilities.  But I'm probably still in trouble.  The rest at the bottom.

On 6/14/05, Peter Ruskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 June 2005 12:48, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:21:33 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
> > > Indeed it is.... as long as you remember to update-eix after an
> > > esync (or emerge sync). Gotta put that in as a cron job or
> > > something-- or is there a better way to keep the index current?
> >
> > I run this script as a cron job in the early hours
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> >
> > emerge --sync
> > emerge world --update --deep --newuse --pretend --verbose \
> >
> >       | Mail -s "Updated packages for $(hostname)" neil
> >
> > glsa-check 2>/dev/null --test all | Mail -s "GLSA check on
> > $(hostname)" neil update-eix
> > emerge world -uDNf &>/dev/null
>
> I like the esync output. so my cron job looks like this:
>
> # sync Gentoo nightly and check for updates
> 0 0 * * 1-6 /usr/sbin/esync -ns && /usr/bin/update-eix -q
> && /usr/bin/emerge world -uNvpl
>
> ...and for Sunday:
> # sync Gentoo weekly and check (deep) for updates
> 0 0 * * 7 /usr/sbin/esync -ns && /usr/bin/update-eix -q
> && /usr/bin/emerge world -uNDvtpl
>
> --
> Peter

I got Java 1.5 to install.  Now the nifty new tools (thanks for eix!)
tell me that 1.5 is all I have.   Of course, when I look in /opt, I get
a different impression of things.  Am I right in surmising that
I have all those old versions, and I just need java-config to point
to various places to get other things to happen?

If so, I'm in good shape, because I just did a user-only config
to 1.5 so presumably 'root' is still using 1.4.2.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD