On Jun 17, 2005, at 12:55 PM, Antoine wrote:

Hi,
Our company is going to be bidding for a contract that will require
about 45 lan connections (08:00 to 20:00) and a few web connections to
an Oracle database.
The contract states that we can only have 1 hr max downtime per month
(pretty generous really, I thought) and the boss, his head in dark and
nether regions, is, of course, looking at winders servers.
I must admit, I have no knowledge in this area, except that Windows is
not the best choice for high availability! Or is it? Seeing as it pretty
much only has to run Oracle, what would people suggest? Linux (and if
Linux - Redhat, Suse, Gentoo,...)? BSD? Or would it definitely be worth
the dolleros to go for an AIX or Solaris + Hardware solution? Or is he
right in thinking that Server 2003 is best?
We would obviously not be able to spend massive amounts, so a $30000+
solution is not on the cards...
Cheers
Antoine
ps. we have only x86 servers at the moment mostly running server 2000 or
2003, but the admin would rather be running linux...

I have not run Oracle, but Oracle is certified on Linux so build a redundant Linux box (RAID 10 or 5 with hot spares), redundant power supplies, and have a spare motherboard and memory sticks available, and for a budget that you seem to imply, this should stay up and running as good or or probably better than the winders. The winders would be my last choice. Too many sites I know of running winders are down more than the allowed amount you specify.

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider