Sorry.. I was not sure if the quoting was right.. gmail just got crazy!! I repeat!

On 6/19/05, Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Not necessarily, if the internal default for this setting is ON (which I
don't know), but in any case, when commented settings revert to their
internla default, so in this case it might be better to explicitly set
it to "Off".

  So I set Option UseFBDev to Off, and now I get this: "MergedFB does
not  work with Option UseFBDev, MergedFB mode is disable." and I'm
unable to  start X.

Well, of course they do-- you're using the 'defaults' option, which
implies (among other things) 'noexec'-- which means scripts may not be
run (no executables may be run) from the partition. You might want to
add the 'exec' option *after* the 'defaults' option (so that it
overrides the 'noexec' included by 'defaults', if you put 'exec' before
defaults, the 'noexec' witll override the exlplicit 'exec', which is not
what you want).

 You maybe got confused, because 'defaults' use 'exec' and not
'noexec'.  But, for clear doubts, I double set 'exec' and tried again,
with no  success... I still can't create a user properly! And this
problem spreads to X startup..  what can be wrong?

(from /etc/fstab)
/dev/hda5               /home           vfat
defaults,gid=100,umask=002      0 0

I set the gid to all users. I give rxw to 'group' members... but still
nothing..  I see a solution by moving /home/ to the linux partition...
but I think this should work though...

Also not quite sure what is the usefulness of 'umask=000', since that
just says "leave the umask as it is"

Yes... it was 002 before.. I changed to check if the problem was due
to 'others' permission..

http://www.shell-shocked.org/article.php?id=230 (:: Shell-Shocked ::
Tutorial: Multiple Linux Distros).

very nice.. :) though, didn't help... :(