I should have read this mail before I rebooted.. :P

I end up with a
VDF-fs: No partition found (1)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)

I will need to use the livecd to fix the prob.. after I find what's going on...

On 6/22/05, Ryan Viljoen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  My problem is that I assume that the new configuration replaces the
> previous one. So, I would need to replace all files.

You dont need to replace your old kernel files you can simply copy
them over to /boot under a different name so use:
My previous kernel has:
/boot/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r10
/boot/initrd-2.6.11-gentoo-r10
/boot/System.map-2.6.11-gentoo-r10
or what ever your new kernel is. Than just add a new option in your
grub.conf much like the old one for you newly compiled kernel. This
probably the best thing to do especially if your new kernel has errors
when loading, you can easily revert back to the old one and fix the
problem.

Cheers
Rav

--
"When you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic Voices...
that's nothing - when you play it forward it installs Windows"