Hi there,

I have one machine (Machine 1) that I need backup its files
periodically. I also have another machine (Machine 2) that will hold
the backup. Machine 2 can "see" (make requests to) Machine 1, but the
opposite isn't true. The network is covered by a firewall, so I don
need a paranoid solution. I was thinking about doing the following:

On Machine 1, put it on the crontab to put netcat waiting for
requests, and when it did receive a request, dump the files. Like
this:

tar -jc / | nc -l -p 500

And on the crontab of Machine 2, I'd put something like this, only a
few minutes later, to avoid any errors from clock differences:

nc machine1 500 > backup.tar.bz2

But before doing this, I'd like some suggestions or may be some better
solutions you guys might know.

Thanks for the attention,

Raphael.