[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ man make.conf
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=5

In review, your make.conf should probably contain the following (at minimum):

CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O2"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

You can also try adding "-pipe" and/or "-fomit-frame-pointer" to the
CFLAGS variable, to get:

CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

At a minimum, make.conf should contain:

CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"

And don't forget to run "mirrorselect -i -o >>
/mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf" and select a valid Gentoo mirror.

This is all laid out in the gentoo handbook.

> HI List,
>
> I will be attempting to build the system from Stage 1 tarball, however I'm
> still confused
> what my /etc/make.conf has to look like. Would anyone give a sample make.conf
> or point
> me to a good samples for Pentium 3 (Coppermine) ? I will attempt to install
> from Kanotix
> LiveCD . Mu GCC is 3.3.6. This question is probably arises often and someone
> for sure
> will point me to Install docs, but I'm interested in stable, well-optimized
> settings.
> There are lots of confusion about them ( at least for me). LDFLAGS? NPTL?
> Hdparm?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Andrey
>
> --