Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 09:39:15AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
>

>>Bit I think you're missing the point. These are DEFAULTS, if you
>>really don't want any unnecessary GNOME packages installed, you
>>should be specifically including -gnome in /etc/make.conf.
>

>   The point which I'm trying to make, and everybody else seems to be
> missing, is that *THE DEFAULTS ARE CONSTANTLY CHANGING UNDER OUR FEET*.
> Several weeks ago, I didn't have to put -gnome in USE in /etc/make.conf.
> Now I do.  Several months ago, I didn't have to put -ipv6 in USE.  Now I
> do.  What's going to be added to the defaults next week or next month?
> I don't like the idea of an "anti-USE definition" that needs constant
> checking and updating like a Windows anti-virus definition.  Here's what
> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/make.defaults has accumulated
> over the years to date...
>
> USE="alsa apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups emboss encode fortran
> foomaticdb gdbm gif gnome gpm gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad
> mikmod motif mp3 mpeg ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png
> python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl tcpd truetype truetype-fonts
> type1-fonts X xml2 xmms xv zlib"

Yeah, that does seem a little excessive.

>   Is all this *REALLY* necessary, folks?  Now we know why people trying
> to build a minimal Gentoo have problems cutting it down to size.  There
> is mention of a use.mask file in man and on Gentoo, but that gets
> overwritten too.  The ideal solution would be "-*" followed by just the
> flags that I want in /etc/make.conf.  Is that syntax legal?

The  portage man page says:

/etc/portage/profile/
   site-specific overrides of /etc/make.profile/

So you want /etc/portage/use.mask.

I've heard that USE="-*" has broken some builds in the past but I'm not sure
about the current state of things.

>   Another question, does GRP_STAGE23_USE apply to stage 2 and 3 for all
> users, including those who started with stage 1?

The portage man page says:

GRP_STAGE23_USE
   Special USE flags used by catalyst for building a stage3 and GRP sets.

So this only applies if you build your own stage with catalyst (unlikely).

Note that you can manage your own profile inside PORTDIR_OVERLAY.  Just copy
/usr/portage/profiles and change the /etc/make.profile symlink to point to your
customized profile.

Zac