Hi Holly, thanks for your reply

>>> Basically my question here is why exactly did you install the bootloader
>>> to hdb instead of hda?

I installed  to hdb as I only have 1 NTFS partition on /dev/hda and don't
want to muck around with my XP install as my family will kill me if I muck
it up ...

>>> Do you want to keep the Windows bootloader for some reason?

See above ... Anyway I figured out how to use XP boot.ini and dd
if=/dev/hdb1 bs=512 count=1 of= /mnt/floppy/linux.bin to copy the lilo boot
sector. I then copy this to c:\ on /dev/hda and make sure it is referenced
in boot.ini.

I've now got a different issue (I think) ... The XP loader activates lilo on
/dev/hdb but it stalls. Basically starts to write LILO to screen but stalls
at "L" freezes and goes no further. I've seen this before somewhere and
thought it was disk related. So far I've tried to fix it by removing
substituting lba32 / compact / linear from /etc/lilo.conf (yes I /sbin/lilo
and recreate the linux.bin file for the XP bootloader). The drive is a 200MB
Seagate.

Anybody any ideas ...?

Thanks (as usual), Richard