I have a small number of logins on my gentoo box that I use for
automated chores.
I would prefer that they never have passwords, since they are run
solely by cron jobs.
However, if the login is locked then cron will no longer run the jobs
-- I presume
(without knowing for sure) that it's because of the warning messages
that  are issued
when you 'su' into such a login.

These logins are data gatherers for me, that send emails to other
automated systems
to get information.  They process the answers in various ways for
later harvesting by
other automated processes.

As it is, I have assigned passwords to these accounts, but as I said,
I'd prefer not to.

SO: is there a way to get cron(1) to run jobs for an account whose password is
disabled?  Perhaps by doing something to the shadow file that
passwd(1) would not
do?

++ kevin

--