Richard Fish schreef:
> BTW Holly,
>
> You should recognize that from a security standpoint allowing yourself
> to execute bash is really giving yourself "blanket permissions to sudo
> to all commands".  You might as well make life easier on yourself and
> just make your sudo settings "ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL".
>
> My $.02.
>
> -Richard

Thank you for the heads-up, Richard, but it would seem that that isn't
quite true-- I did a test:

 sudo bash -c /etc/init.d/samba restart

Gentoo Linux RC-Scripts; http://www.gentoo.org/
 Copyright 1999-2004 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPL

Usage: samba < flags > [ options ]

In other words, I couldn't restart the Samba daemon, whereas when root I
can:

 su
Wachtwoord:

wo 07/06/05 20:31
~
root -> /etc/init.d/samba restart
 * samba -> stop: smbd ...

                             [ ok ] * samba -> stop: nmbd ...

                                                                [ ok ] *
samba -> start: smbd ...

                          [ ok ] * samba -> start: nmbd ...

                                                             [ ok ]

So I think I'll pass on the ALL/ALL -- I know that this is not the most
secure setup possible (though as soon as I set up a personal firewall
behind the router's firewall and set up chrootkit, I'll feel yet
better), but still, I'd like to keep what minimal limits still exist,
despite having punched holes in them my own self.

Or is this not a valid proof that there are some limits left?

Holly