[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Nope, it's definitely udev.

I have verified that genkernel does compile the agpgart module and create
the /dev/agpgart as a symlink to /dev/misc/agpgart on the real filesystem.
 But when the udev 'populates' /dev it then mounts over top of the real
/dev tree and the new /dev/ and /dev/misc/ have no agpgart present.  Even
if I compile in the 2.6 system, the links created are short lived as they
die and udev rebuilds on next boot.  I have no idea what to do next.

Can you turn off the /dev tarball feature?
From /etc/conf.d/rc

# Use this variable to control the /dev management behavior.
#  auto   - let the scripts figure out what's best at boot
#  devfs  - use devfs (requires sys-fs/devfsd)
#  udev   - use udev (requires sys-fs/udev)
#  static - let the user manage /dev

RC_DEVICES="auto"

/djb

Creighton