Ian K wrote:

>>Probably not KDE, but possibly X itself.  Maybe it isn't the CPU, but
>>the GPU that is overheating.
>>
>>The radeon driver has a "DynamicClocks" setting (man radeon).  Do you
>>have this option in your xorg.conf file?
>>

>Nope, but after setting it to 'true' (and restarting my computer)
>I notice that my laptop cooling fans are on (probably about mid-speed)
>*constantly*. I'm looking over, and seeing my computer idling at
>0% CPU usage. Its fans are blasting cool air through it, and its running
>a lot less hot. Looks like you solved the problem. Heck, it doesn't matter
>if its the CPU or GPU warming up too much, the whole system is on
>at full blast after KDE is started. Its AWESOME! :)
>
>I will let you know if I have further problems.

I seem to recall some kind of kernel problem with ACPI and fans not
turning on....I can't remember the details though, and I didn't have
this problem myself.

Now, why setting DynamicClocks in the xorg.conf file would turn your
fans on, I cannot possibly comprehend!!!

But, I'm glad it's working.

>I do, but the directory "structure(?)" ends at thermal_zone. There
>is nothing in it.

Interesting...maybe we should double check your ACPI configuration
options.  I have:

carcharias linux # grep ^CONFIG.*ACPI /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO=y
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=0
CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y

And during bootup, I get the following in /var/log/messages:

Jul 11 07:20:11 carcharias ACPI: AC Adapter [ADP0] (on-line)
Jul 11 07:20:11 carcharias ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT0] (battery present)
Jul 11 07:20:11 carcharias ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT1] (battery absent)
Jul 11 07:20:11 carcharias ACPI: Lid Switch [LID]
Jul 11 07:20:11 carcharias ACPI: Sleep Button (CM) [SLPB]
Jul 11 07:20:11 carcharias ACPI: Power Button (CM) [PWRB]
Jul 11 07:20:11 carcharias ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports 8 throttling
states)
Jul 11 07:20:11 carcharias ACPI: Processor [CPU1] (supports 8 throttling
states)
Jul 11 07:20:11 carcharias ACPI: Thermal Zone [THM0] (52 C)

Do you get anything similar?

-Richard