At Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:52:36 +0200 Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Allan Gottlieb schreef:
>> Mark Knecht suggests just telling gnome to delete the mixer from my
>> panel config and install in manually, which I may well do (thanks
>> mark).
>
> I think that's how I fixed it too-- although the gnome mixer isn't all
> that useful as a mixer (compared to alsamixer, or gamixer), it is useful
> to be sure that *GNOME* is correctly set up for sound (the mixer acts
> like the canary in the mines; if it won't load, or errors with the  'no
> device found' business, you can be sure that no GNOME/GTK applications
> which normally produce sound, will).

Good point

>> I am sure I can find some mixer somewhere, but would prefer to
>> actually find this one.
>
> Right click on the panel; Add to Panel=>Mixer should be somewhere in the
> list; if not, then check in the 'Pre-existing Gnome Packages' section
> (but I think it's in the first list).

No.  It really wasn't there, i.e. the binary wasn't present.  I
followed your advice and went to bugzilla.  This sent me to the forums
and the hint that the gstreamer USE is important.  I set this and did
the requisite emerges.  Now sounds do come up but I get the "no device
found" you mentioned above.  I shall pursue this.

The mixer still does not appear when I do "add to panel".  I don't see
"pre-existing gnome packages".  What (and where) is it?

> In any case, very few, if any, of the former gnome-applets seem to be
> runnable as commands any more. And the most recent gnome-panel (2.10.2)
> is so buggy-- even for GNOME-- that I've had to go back to fbpanel,
> which at least doesn't crash all the time due to some problem with the
> system notification area... instead of getting better (it used to be
> that the panel would crash in the mixer applet all the time, until you
> got the GNOME backend straightened out, but after that it was pretty
> stable-- no more, it seems). So this problem really could be anything,
> but I will say that the mixer applet worked fine once I (working from
> memory):
>
> 1) went to the GNOME control panel and made sure esd was set to start at
> GNOME login, which I believe also needed
>
> 2) the esound daemon running in the default runlevel
>
> and then
>
> 3) deleted and re-added the mixer applet.
>
> Problem was I didn't really want to be running the Enlightened Sound
> Daemon, so I somehow or other reconfigured everything to be ALSA instead
> (took esound out of the default runlevel, and *thought* I told GNOME not
> to start esd at startup, but it persists in doing so, went to the GNOME
> Control Panel=>Multimedia and Sound, and mucked about with the sources
> and sinks until I could at least get test sounds), and the mixer applet
> continued to work (although the panel itself was notoriously unstable).
> If you can follow all that <sigh>... it was a bit of a trial. Hope it's
> helpful.

Helpful, as always ... and as always, thanks.

allan