Holly Bostick wrote:

The thing is.... Portage doesn't *remember* ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, beyond the
original compile in which it is used. So if you use it, and keep the
package, as soon as you do an emerge -u world, Portage will try to
downgrade the package to the last stable version, which is the only one
that it knows to be allowed (because /etc/make.conf says "xarch", not
"~arch", and no exception for this particular package and its
dependencies has been made in /etc/portage/package.keywords).
OK - now using package.keywords make far more sense to me. I'd always assumed (wrongly I guess) that "emerge -u" would only upgrade and never downgrade... Now I see why I'd need the entry in package.keywords.

It's a beautiful system :-) .
I'm closer to believing you. :-)

The only way in which I'm not yet as convinced as you are is with respect to dependencies. I'm comfortable with the idea that I browse the bugs to verify that none of the issues affect my install directly - then to accept an unstable version of a specific package... but I'd prefer not to have to dig out the package dependencies and explicitly allow the unstable branch for those packages too (as seems to have been indicated earlier in this thread.) Is there a simple way to say, for example, "I'm willing to accept the unstable version of Subversion-1.2.1, and (naturally) the unstable version of any package on which Suversion-1.2.1 depends?" It was my wish to side-step explicitly dealing with package dependencies which prompted me to use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS with emerge -uD ...

Steve