Bob Sanders wrote:

Are thse system tasks supposed to be fired automatically by fcron?
Yes.  In the ebuild it says -
       einfo "To activate /etc/cron.{hourly|daily|weekly|montly} please run: "
       einfo "crontab /etc/crontab"
I hadn't seen that message - but then again, when I installed fcron the /etc/cron.* stuff wasn't especially important to me... so I might easily have ignored it at the time. It's a pity this sort of "essential" warning isn't available for all packages as some kind of Gentoo knowledge base - I guess I could read the ebuild files - but it would be far more convenient to have tips/tricks/gotchas available annotated with each package - say on http://packages.gentoo.org/... Hmmm.

In any case, thanks - "crontab /etc/crontab" seems the perfect resolution.

Steve