On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:19:47 +0200, James Hiscock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi James

Just for clarification, I'm not the one trying to resize an ext3
partition: Bruno is...

<snip>
You can make your ext3 an ext2 partition by
removing the "has_journal" feature (tune2fs -O ^has_journal
/dev/partition).
</snip>

...and your advice was similar to the advice I gave him (but you
actually managed to write the command out correctly, whereas I didn't
;), but he's still running into problems (parted is complaining that
there's an "unsupported filesystem feature enabled", which is why he
posted the output of tune2fs).
parted used to not support ext3 resizing, so, there are chances it is the 'has_journal' feature causing problems. For now, it seems it is supported as with the methosd by resize2fs: the start of the partition must stay fixed :( (http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html)

I'm at a loss to help, but I've also been suggesting using parted
(which I've used successfully in the past)... maybe resize2fs will
work better as both you and Richard have suggested, but I've got no
experience with it...