Zac Medico wrote:
>>> For remote X you should use nx (emerge nxserver-freenx)...
>> That's new to me - looks very interesting...
> There are native win32 clients (no cygwin required) for both. The tightvnc client is gpl. The nx client that I know of is commercial software but it's a freely downloadable from nomachine.com.

I've had a look at this but I'm a bit stumped by the nomachine.com nx client. When I install their client, it takes out my Cygwin installation... presumably because it is linked against an old copy of the cywin DLLs (which I'd have thought would be a violation of the Cygwin licence terms.)

---
# ls
C:\usr\cygwin\bin\zsh.exe (3752): *** system shared memory version mismatch dete
cted - 0x75BE0074/0x75BE0084.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version. The most recent version *should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
159955652 [main] zsh 3288 fork_parent: child 3752 died waiting for longjmp before initialization
zsh: fork failed: interrupt
---

Uninstalling the nx client and rebooting fixes the fault which installing introduced. The knowledge base seems to gloss over this problem - claiming in separate articles that it is cosmetic or a known problem. I guess, given that I need cygwin, that my only option is to wait and hope the nx client for windows is fixed at some point?

Steve