On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:
> On 2010-04-11 9:20 AM, Graham Murray wrote:
>> Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> writes:
>>> I'm a bit clueless when it comes to firewalls, and have no idea what
>>> these numbers mean/do:
>>>
>>> *raw
>>> :PREROUTING ACCEPT [4911:886011]
>>> :OUTPUT ACCEPT [4546:2818732]
>>> COMMIT
>
>> The numbers are [packets:bytes] which match the rule or table
>> concerned.
>
> Ok, so... I still don't know what they *mean*... ie, is this a hole in
> my firewall? What is the raw table used for, in plain english?
>
> More importantly though...
>
> When I try to remove the nat and raw tables from my firewall, they don't
> go away. I have always kept my rules in a separate file, and when I want
> to make changes, I change the external file, then do iptables-restore <
> /path/to/iptables-current.
>
> (My rule set is very small, so this only takes a second or two, so its
> not/never been a problem)
>
> I've been doing it this way for a long time, and all other changes I
> have ever made - eg, opening a certain port for a certain host - work
> fine, but, when I comment out the raw and nat tables, then restore the
> rules, then do iptables-save > path/to/iptables-current-dump, the
> examined file still shows the raw and nat tables loaded... ???

Here is a very useful book. I think he is the expert. He will answer email.

LINUX FIREWALLS
Attack Detection and Response with iptables, psad, and fwsnort
by Michael Rash

ISBN-10: 1-59327-141-7
ISBN-13: 978-1-59327-141-1

No Starch Press, Inc.
555 De Haro Street, Suite 250, San Francisco, CA 94107
phone: 415.863.9900; fax: 415.863.9950; i...@nostarch.com; www.nostarch.com

Librar y of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data

Rash, Michael.
Linux firewalls : attack detection and response with iptables, psad,
and fwsnort / Michael Rash.
p. cm.
Includes index.
ISBN-13: 978-1-59327-141-1
ISBN-10: 1-59327-141-7
1.  Computers--Access control.  2.  Firewalls (Computer security) 3.
Linux.  I.  Title.
QA76.9.A25R36 2007
005.8--dc22
2006026679

--
If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the
people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become