On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:08:55 -0700
walt wrote:

> On 04/15/2010 05:38 PM, David Relson wrote:
> > I just retired my Viewsonic 19" CRT in favor of a Viewsonic
> > VX2433WM. Looking in Xorg.0.log it's obviously recognized (as the
> > following lines indicate):
> >
> > (II) RADEON(0): Serial No: R4F100901594
> > (II) RADEON(0): Ranges: V min: 50 V max: 75 Hz, H min: 24 H max: 82
> > kHz, PixClock max 210 MHz
> > (II) RADEON(0): Monitor name: VX2433wm
> >
> > However in Gnome's Display Preferences dialog, the monitor type
> > shows up as "Unknown".  What can be done about this?
> >
> > Additionally, a box saying "Unknown" (black text on cyan background)
> > appears on my screen at the upper left corner.  This wouldn't matter
> > except that I like my Gnome panel at the top of the screen and the
> > box blocks the Main Menu icon.  The box appears to be a repeat of
> > the Gnome Display Preferences dialog's "Unknown" monitor info.  How
> > can one nuke the box?
>
> Hm.  I see the same annoying box at the top left, but only while I
> have the Display preferences dialog open.  When I close the dialog,
> the top- left box disappears.
>
> Do you still have a process running named gnome-display-properties
> even after you close the Display preferences dialog box?

Interesting question, but it's too late for me to answer it.  While
googling the subject I learned that the ATI driver (or some of
its revisions) only check monitor type upon startup.  I restarted
X with ctl-alt-backspace and the extra box went away.
gnome-display-properties _still_ says "unknown", but the annoying
box is gone.