On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 08:07:59AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote

>    Anyway, you might be in Europe or Canada or someplace with better
> consumer protection laws than the U.S.

  I'm in Toronto, Canada, and our situation is worse than yours.  Cell
phone data plans are exorbitantly expensive, the telcos and cablecos are
*REDUCING* monthly gigabyte allowances, cable/satellite is rather
expensive, and we've never had unencrypted QAM HDTV channels.

> Just be aware of what you might be up against, and if it doesn't
> matter then enjoy the HDHR because it's a great little product.

  Given the cost of cable, especially HDTV, I'm strictly OTA.  Toronto
is an exception to the regular Canadian OTA TV scene.  All but one of
the local stations is already broadcasting digital, and I can get them
and most of the Buffalo stations with an indoor antenna.  It helps that
I'm in a 6th floor condo with a clear view to the CN Tower (Toronto
locals) and Grand Island, New York (the Buffalo TV "antenna farm").
Plus I get a news+movies station out of Hamilton.  The total is 16
physical digital channels and 3 non-duplicate sub-channels.

  And "coming soon" is TheCoolTV http://www.thecooltv.com/  The list at
http://www.thecooltv.com/THECOOLTV_SinclairTelevisionGroup.php shows
Buffalo as one of the "Cities About to Get COOL!".  The rollout is due
sometime in April or May.  It'll be a sub-channel on one of the 2
Sinclair stations in Buffalo (WUTV-FOX or WNYO-MyTV).

  There's also one educational channel here in Toronto that is still
analogue-only, which the HDHomerun can't get.  They'll flash-cut to
digital at the deadline.  Canada's analogue shutdown is August 31, 2011,
assuming no delays.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>