On 19 Apr 2010, at 23:03, Mick wrote:
There might be an option to change the region of your wifi NIC.
Channels 12 & 13 are legal in Europe, IIRC, but not in the USA.

You should be able to change the channel of the AP - typically they
have a drop-down which will choose either "auto" or a specific
channel. Likewise I have seen some APs ask what region you're in when
they're first setup.

I've set it up for UK so it has 13 channels. On the other hand your hint pointed me to wpa_supplicant.conf on my laptop, in which I had the country parameter commented out. I set that up to UK, but it still seems to show
11 channels.  :-(

I'll reboot later to see if it makes any odds.

No change :-(

# iwlist wlan0 channel
wlan0     11 channels in total; available frequencies :
         Channel 01 : 2.412 GHz
         Channel 02 : 2.417 GHz
         Channel 03 : 2.422 GHz
         Channel 04 : 2.427 GHz
         Channel 05 : 2.432 GHz
         Channel 06 : 2.437 GHz
         Channel 07 : 2.442 GHz
         Channel 08 : 2.447 GHz
         Channel 09 : 2.452 GHz
         Channel 10 : 2.457 GHz
         Channel 11 : 2.462 GHz
         Current Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)

Short of hacking the firmware (which even if I knew how to, I am not allowed) or waiting for the linux driver to mature, I am not sure if there's anything I
can do.

Can't you just change the channel the AP uses?

If you live somewhere with a high population density, then channel 13 may be a good one to use to avoid the interference of Sky1234, BTHomeHub5678 and all the other "free" routers supplied by ISPs which will tend to default to channels 1, 6 and 11.

However, if you live somewhere with fewer neighbours channel 13 may not be necessary. Try a scan for nearby APs, note some sections of frequency that are relatively unused [1], reset your router to use that channel, reboot it and try it.

Stroller.

[1] Slightly difficult to encapsulate all the criteria for this in just a few words, so try a few different channels and write back if you need a longer explanation.