On 22/04/10 15:29, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Here,
>
> several month ago I had problems since I had Python-2.x and Python-3.x
> installed. Therefore I have masked Python-3.x since then.
> Meanwhile there are packages (like portpeek-2.0.1) which require
> Python-3.x .  Is it safe to have both Python-2 and Python-3 installed.
> I know they are slotted and I know about eselect python but do I have to
> switch Python (by using eselect) before emerge a given packages.
> And does this work at all (a Gentoo system where different parts use
> different versions of Python)?
>
> Many thanks for sharing your experience,
> Helmut.

Currently there is only python version <3 supported as system python. So
you *never* eselect python 3. But there is no problem installing slotted
python versions side by side. There are currently to versions of
packages, those which support installation of multiple python ABIs. They
will install supporting modules for all available ABIs. And those which
support just a single version, they will install as normal and fix the
shebang to the highest supported version.
So in you case, just emerge python-3, but leave the system python to py-2.*.
There will be an announcement, when py-3.* goes stable and is supported
to be used as system python.

justin