On 28 April 2010 06:35, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:02:53PM +0100, Mick wrote
>
>> anything else but native resolution makes images and characters blurred.
>
>  There is one exception to that general rule.  If you divide the X and/or
> Y dimensions by a whole number, the result may be blocky fonts, but at
> least there is no interpolation.  For a 1920x1080 screen, dimensions like
>
>  960x1080   960x540   960x360
>  640x1080   640x540   640x360
>  480x1080   480x540   480x360
>
> would involve no interpolation.  Of the possibilities listed, the only
> sane ones are 960x1080, 960x540, 640x540, 640x360, and 480x360.  If you
> have a VGA input on the LCD monitor, and if you know the monitor's safe
> horizontal and vertical frequency ranges, you can go to a site like
> http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl or
> http://amlc.berlios.de/ and generate custom modelines for the reduced
> sizes.  You may need "doublescan" for some of the smaller screens.

Hmm, that's all the choice that I have I'm afraid:

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1920
VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
LVDS connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 344mm x 193mm
   1920x1080      60.0*+
   1680x1050      60.0
   1400x1050      60.0
   1280x1024      59.9
   1440x900       59.9
   1280x960       59.9
   1280x854       59.9
   1280x800       59.8
   1280x720       59.9
   1152x768       59.8
   1024x768       59.9
   800x600        59.9
   640x480        59.4
DisplayPort-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Anyway, I'm not the OP and I don't want to hijack the thread ... but
thanks all the same Walter. I didn't know about the xtiming page.
--
Regards,
Mick