Hi,

On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 23:16 +0200, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

> After I upgraded my laptop with an internal HDD of 500 GB, I started using my
> old external 500 GB drive as backup. Though of different dimensions and
> makers, they both have the same number of sectors. So I dd'ed the entire disk
> first, which gave me an exact mirror of the internal disk. I though this
> would
> be faster, because I have lots of small files in some places.

I tried that, but after dd finished, I was left with strange partitions
and id's that I couldn't mount.  The two disks are both 160Gb with the
same sector size...

It might be easier to do the fdisk-ing by hand.

thanks,

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
                -- William Pitt, 1783