On Saturday 01 May 2010 10:57:31 Kraus Philipp wrote:
> On 01.05.2010 um 10:32 wrote Volker Armin Hemmann:

> >> I think that the only way you can do this is to create a chroot jail,
> >> in which you build everything using the old version of glibc (in a
> >> very
> >> similar way to building a new Gentoo system) and run your
> >> application in
> >> that.
> >
> > no, you can install glibc in /usr/local and then tell apps to either
> > use the
> > libs in /usr/local or /usr.
> >
> > It is just not easy because it easily breaks stuff in horrrible to
> > fix ways.
>
> Okay, can I downgrade my glibc? My Gentoo isn't a big system, it's a
> server
> installation, so I can recompile the whole system. I had forgotten to
> mask the
> glibc on the last update. I have add a line to the portage.mask but
> emerge says
> that it can't compile the older version, because will damage the system.

There is a way to downgrade, but it's far from bullet proof. You might end up
with mutually incompatible code versions that makes the recompile world freak
out.

First, quickpkg your existing glibc
Then read the glibc ebuild. You can bypass the version checks, IIRC its an
envvar something like "I_AM_VERY_STUPID_OR_VERY_BRAVE". Failing that, just
comment out the version checks, redigest the ebuild and run it.
The rebuild world

Obviously, this is not for the faint of heart.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com