About a week ago, my Gentoo box was in a bad state where there were some
packages that would not install, so I was carefully emerging what I could
and filed a bug about one in particular that I could not emerge.

Then I got a new kernel, 2.6.32-gentoo-r7, and I booted from it.  Eeeek. No
X11 at all.
The logs informed me about some things to do, and I did them, re-emerging a
number of things.  I paid particular attention to emerging anything with x11
or xorg in its name.
Long wait.
I got to a point somewhere in there where X11 started, but would recognize
neither keyboard nor mouse.
I kept going.  The keyboard started to work.  I could actually log in, but
that's not all that useful without a mouse.
Then I started getting complaints about USE flags needed to make some
particular packages support some other packages.  I did those too.
Now I'm at the state where "emerge -aDNvu" denies there's any work to do,
and revdep-rebuild reports health.
Still no mouse.
Fortunately, I have a laptop that can ssh into the box and I can work with
it, but it's still essentially headless.
Anybody run into this state recently?
If there's a quick fix, I'd rather not make another bug.
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD