On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 5:07 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> Hm.  Is this your motherboard?:
>
> http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=W7i5W4Pw4fH22Mih
>
> Being a geek of a certain age, I find that products with names that invoke
> mega-dose anabolic steroids usually don't fit my lifestyle very well.
>
> I do better with product names that contain more sedate character strings
> like VSOP or MOM.
>
> By grepping through /usr/src/linux*/MAINTAINERS I turned up quite a few
> email addresses at intel.com, none of which seem relevant to RAID or its
> device drivers, but a polite email asking for a link to the appropriate
> dev might bring a polite and useful reply.  That's how I connected with
> the appropriate dev at Broadcom, who eventually fixed my ethernet driver.

Yes, that's the motherboard. I don't care much about the names of
things myself. I had limited options for the new i7-980x processor at
the time I was ordering the hardware, and I'd never done overclocking
before (and technically still haven't) so I got it because it was an
Asus board which I've generally had very good luck with.

To be clear, the RAID I'm doing is mdadm Linux software RAID and
nothing having to do with the on-board RAID controller. The machine
uses the standard Linux SATA drivers, or so I think.

I like the VSOP idea. :-)

- Mark