Richard Fish wrote:

George Roberts wrote:

Richard Fish wrote:

Peter Gordon wrote:

Try setting the "pam_console" USE flag and re-emerging pam:
# echo "sys-libs/pam  pam_console" >> /etc/portage/package.use
# emerge sys-libs/pam

Although, it's rather odd that you are unable to login. I do not have
pam_console either but I can still login through gdm just fine (with a
similar warning in my system log).

If /etc/pam.d/gdm specifies pam_console, then this is why it is required. George, can you post the contents of that file?

-Richard

I just downgraded my baselib and pam after I found a simular issue in the forums. But gdm still not working. I don't have the time to check the logs (yuck work) this morning, will check them tonight.
Here is my currant /etc/pam.d/gdm
#%PAM-1.0
auth       optional        pam_env.so
auth       include        system-auth
auth       required        pam_nologin.so
account    include        system-auth
password   include        system-auth
session    include        system-auth

Ok, so we include system-auth. Then we also need to look at /etc/pam.d/system-auth.

Also, what you have is the version of the pam config file from gdm-2.6.0.9-r3 (the ~x86 version). Earlier (non ~x86) versions use a different gdm configuration for pam:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so

As you can see, pam_console.so is referenced directly here. Can you confirm that you still get the error about pam_console.so with -r3, or only with earlier versions of gdm?

-Richard

Latest update.
After adding/removing use flags, downgrading/upgrading packages (not to mention some firefox/thunderbird upgrades thrown in for flavor) based on information I stumbled across in the forums, gdm is now half working. I can login as root but not as the user. As to which piece of of the process actually fixed the problem I don't truly know. The process of fixing the currant problem brings to mind questions that are better not addressed in this thread, so I will be opening a new thread. Thanks for the help that you each have offered.