On Sun, 30 May 2010 11:48:21 +0100
Neil Bothwick wrote:

> On Sat, 29 May 2010 07:59:31 -0400, David Relson wrote:
>
> > Indeed flash drives _do_ have a lifetime.  My recollection is that
> > it's in the thousands of writes if not the hundreds of thousands of
> > writes. Assuming a life of 1,000 writes and you backup once daily,
> > that's 3 years of backups.  10,000 writes would be 30 years.  Of
> > course if you backup every hour, 10,000 writes is a year (or so).
>
> You're assuming that each backup only writes once, which is far from
> true. If you mount a drive with the sync option, the FAT is updated
> for every block you write, so even a single file can cause thousands
> of writes to the same location.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

Neil,

Correct -- if the USB is mounted synchronously.

Normally Linux uses asynchronous writes (caching), so will hit the FAT
much less often.

I've tried synchronous writes and it's a real performance killer.

However for a DOS formatted stick (which is the norm) the FAT does seem
to be the week link.

David