On 2010-06-13 6:37 PM, David W Noon wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 20:20:02 +0200, Tanstaafl wrote about Re:
> [gentoo-user] Anything better than procmail?:
>
>> On 2010-06-12 5:17 PM, David W Noon wrote:
>>> I wanted the messages to be stored in a single, dedicated
>>> logical volume in my DASD farm.  Dovecot always stored them in
>>> each user's ~/Mail/ directory, so they were all over the /home
>>> L.V.

>> Dovecot will store them where you tell it to. You could have
>> easily stored them all in a single directory like
>> /var/virtual/mail/user, or even used a hashed directory scheme
>> (which might be desirable for very large installations like
>> ISPs)...

> IIRC, that means that I have to give universal write access, perhaps
> with a "sticky" bit, on that directory.

Don't be absurd. Yanrc (you are not remembering correctly). No sane
software would require that, much less mail server software.

> The database approach makes much more sense from a security point of
> view,

Ridiculous...

> as nobody accesses the filesystem directly, except the database
> manager.

And in the case of dc, nobody accesses the mail store except the mail
user you designated, and with only enough permissions to get the job
done and no more.

>> Storing mail in a database sounds interesting, but it *will*
>> introduce a very noticeable performance hit, there is simply no way
>> around it...

> Actually, it doesn't.

Actually, it does.

You may be correct for a mail system with only a few low volume users,
but on a real mail server, with many hundreds or thousands of users
(many of which are heavy/power users), there is no way a DB could
compete with a filesystem.

Now, I'm not saying it wouldn't work - even reasonably well - I'm just
saying there *would* be a performance hit, and the resource requirements
would be greater as well.

> But this is Gentoo. We get new releases when the Gentoo dev's allow
> the new package through.

But this is gentoo - you can write your own ebuild, right? ;) j/k, I get
that answer too often, I just couldn't resist.

That said, thankfully dc is reasonably well supported in gentoo...

That said... does anyone know of a repo that provides good quality up to
date builds of dovecot - maybe even including the 2.0 betas?

>>> Sieve is also integrated into dbmail.

>> And dovecot... and 2.0 will have even better integration.

> But I have that now. ... :-)

I know, but your words suggested that it wasn't integrated into dc, so I
was just pointing out yet another incorrect assumption on your part.

> You sound like a Microsoft zealot from the 1990's, where the next
> release of your favourite product will have every feature imaginable
> -- and totally debugged too!

? no need for insults, asshole - I could say the same thing about how
you are praising your dbmail setup.

I'm just pointing out your apparently bad info on dovecot...

Oh - and procmail sucks balls...