On 17/06/2010 08:26, Rod wrote:
>     Check out iproute
>> *  sys-apps/iproute2
>>       Latest version available: 2.6.31
>>       Latest version installed: 2.6.31
>>       Size of files: 363 kB
>>       Homepage:
>> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/iproute2

>>       License:       GPL-2

It certainly looks relevant - though I've not previously come across this...

>     This will allow you to control the flow of packets, so packets
> from Interface 1 will go back out the same interface.
I'm less clear about this bit... I don't suppose you can point me at a
how-to for the configuration of this?

>     This is used in conjunction with iptables, as iptables is the
> firewall, and iproute is the packet classifyer/handler
While rusty, I think I can do the iptables stuff... I've definitely done
similar things with it before.

>     I was using this when I had 2 Internet accounts, a slow speed ADSL
> with static IP, and a cable BB one for the usual stuff (dynamic IP)

My situation is vaguely similar... I've one high-speed link at home with
only dynamic IP - and I've got rack-mounted server with multiple static
IPs, one of which I want to use from home in order to run a mail-server,
revision control service and various web-services... keeping all the
data on hardware I physically control... access is always encrypted - so
I retain my privacy, no matter what happens to my remotely hosted
service (including packet-sniffing etc.) and the worst case scenario is
denial of service - which is an acceptable risk.

While I've established the tunnel, I'm tearing my hair out trying to
configure routing so that only remote access to services on my home box
(and not my home box's web-browsing etc.) are routed over the VPN.  I'm
sure it has to be more straightforward than it appears. :-S