> So if you do "ls -l .bash*" in your home directory,
> what's the output?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] blissfix $ ls -l .bash*
-rw-r--r--  1 blissfix users   0 Jul  6 14:59
.bash_history
-rw-r--r--  1 blissfix users 232 Jul  2 21:12
.bash_profile
-rw-r--r--  1 blissfix users 812 Jul  2 21:12 .bashrc

Note: this .bash_history was manually created w/ nano,
whereas some hidden process created the one in root.
And if I delete the home version another doesn't pop
up on its own.

BTW, the root version of .bash_history is chockful of
retrospective goodness :). Also, each home console
session preserves a record somewhere; the up arrow can
access those. Even if I logout in and out they're
still there. It's just when rebooting the unit they
disappear. Where are they kept, I wonder.