On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Saturday 26 June 2010 17:44:42 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > It's weird.
> >
> > Sometimes, but not always, when I click in the Firefox scrollbar, it
> starts
> > heading in the right direction in fits and starts of 5 pixels or so until
> > it (finallly) reaches the end.  I've mostly observed this in the downward
> > direction, but I mostly scroll in that direction anyway so it might not
> > mean anything.
> >
> > What's wrong about this is that a single click should not do this, and
> does
> > not do this, on any other scrollbar on my machine.  A single click moves
> > the "thumb" thingie a fixed amount which depends on where you click.  The
> > worst part is that the application won't do anything else until the
> > scrolling is finished, and the scrolling for a very tall page can take a
> > couple of minutes.
> >
> > I keep trying to remember that dragging the "thumb" still works as
> > expected, but clicking is an old habit that's hard to drop.
> >
> > Am I the only one seeing this?
>
> I don't see that. What settings do you have for scrolling?
>
> Firefox config dialog -> Advanced -> General

Firefox-3.6.3 -> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General checked:   -
Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages
  - Use autoscrolling
  - Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup

I guess both of the first two are suspects, but AFAICR I've never touched
these.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD