I think gnome-terminal only can handle xft-fonts (and that's probably a
feature)...
Have you considered trying some older (and not so user friendly) terminal?
rxvt, xterm, urxvt and aterm are all pretty nice, memory efficent and fast,
and you can do everything in them that you could in gnome-terminal (well,
almost) :-)

Oscar