Enrico Weigelt wrote:
Hi folks,

<big_snip />

I think the libpng issue shows up a more generic problem:
we IMHO dont have a way for recording, which version / interface
of some version a package is built against. The need for things
like revdep-rebuild also comes from that.

I'm currently working on an generic design for that, some ideas:
(of course, yet limited to C and similar languages ;-o)

* libraries with (incompatible) interface changes should install
   their headers under some own versioned prefix
* library imports should _always_ happen via pkg-config
   (dont use .la files)
* pkg-config descriptors are extended to declare the API and
   ABI version and generation, so interface breaks can be
   determined automatically
* the package management records which version of some imported
   library a package was built against (some kind of revdep-scan
   between compile and merge)
* with that information the package management can do an smooth
   upgrade (w/o temporary breaks until revdep-rebuild finished)

cu

This may be something you should post on -dev. They are the ones that handle this sort of thing.

Things are better there but take a flack jacket. Never hurts to have one just in case you need it. ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)