For some reason, when I use vim as 'root' I get sporadic messages "no
protocol specified" that show up on the console, in such a way that I think
it's going to /dev/console.  It gets into the text I'm editing,  but isn't
really there because ^L clears it.

Save for some abbreviations related to the account, there's no differrence
between /root/.vimrc and the one in my home directory,  but only root sees
this behavior.  Even strings(1) does not find that message in /usr/bin/vim.
It happens twice to the console  before vim takes over the window, and
sporadically during editing.  I haven't seen any pattern to what I'm doing
when it happens.

Anybody have a clue where it's coming from?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD