On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 01:17:16PM -0400, Dave Nebinger wrote:
> > So: what logs should I check and how should I find out what exactly
> > is causing the problem?
>
> Did you try the revdep-rebuild -p to see if there are any broken
> dependencies?  Did your files in /etc/conf.d get updated?  Is your session
> stuff correct in /etc/rc.conf?  Any messages in the syslog or from dmesg?

Since this was a gargantuan update on my part, I, of course, ran
revdep-rebuild immediately after the emerge --update --deep world

Then I ran etc-update and checked all the files.

I boot into console so there's hardly anything at all there in
/etc/rc.conf

no log in /var/log/everything/, nor in dmesg. Whatever it was it has
to be userland. All I know so far is from /var/log/Xorg.0.log which
tells me that X died on SEGV, and a line in the console where I
started X from that reads something like "Enlightenment caused a
seg fault".

Right now I am running X with
$ xinit > Xerror 2>&1
to see if I can capture the entire stderr that was printed (some
floated off screen so the only thing I saw was effectively that
enlightenment was bad).

Question: During the update, there were 2 or 3 packages that I wasn't
able to update due to sandbox violations. I've been intending to
check into that later on this week. Those were dependencies of
mplayer and were not, as far as I know, dependencies of enlightenment
or X. I am hoping that those aren't the packages.

I cannot go to school today"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry.
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more-that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut, my eyes are blue
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My toes is cold, my toes are numb,
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There's a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is - What?
What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is .......Saturday?
Goodbye, I'm going out to play!"
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1 day, 20:30