On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Richard Fish wrote:

Oh, and also, FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE should be =y

Well, that made it! :)

Seems ok (I have the same thing). Looking at the Kconfig file in drivers/video/console, I find:

config VGA_CONSOLE
      bool "VGA text console" if EMBEDDED || !X86
depends on !ARCH_ACORN && !ARCH_EBSA110 && !4xx && !8xx && !SPARC32 && !SPARC64 && !M68K && !PARISC
      default y
[...]

Which means that VGA_CONSOLE is only configurable if you are doing an EMBEDDED or non-x86 configuration. For normal x86 builds, VGA_CONSOLE will always be available, since it defaults to 'y'

Later on, we find:

config DUMMY_CONSOLE
      bool
      depends on PROM_CONSOLE!=y || VGA_CONSOLE!=y || SGI_NEWPORT_CONSOLE!=y
      default y

There seems to be a bit of a hole in the logic here, becuase PROM_CONSOLE is only configurable if you are on SPARC, and SGI_NEWPORT_CONSOLE is only configurable if you are on an SGI. So on x86, you are guaranteed both that VGA_CONSOLE will be =y, which means the middle conditional fails, but both of the other conditionals are true, so the whole statement is true. So you will get DUMMY_CONSOLE, and you will not have a chance to configure it since there is no title after the "bool".

-Richard

Thank you for the explanation.

Cheers,

Jorge