100712 Mick wrote:
> I must have installed at least 3 Ubuntus in the last 6 months,
> all of them on reiserfs.  No problem booting them.
>
>   image=/boot/your_Ubuntu_image
>      label=Ubuntu
>      append="ramdisk_size=2900000"
>      vga=normal
>      initrd=/boot/your_ubuntu_initrd.gz
>      read-only
>      root=/dev/sda8
>
> I don't use LILO so check the above to make sure there are no errors
> and adjust it to your circumstances.

Thanks, that solved the problem, given that I had identified it
as arising from Ubuntu not recognising ReiserFS.
I added the 'initrd=...' line & booted into Ubuntu successfully;
Gentoo doesn't require that line, perhaps because I use no kernel modules.
BTW the Ubuntu ramdisk needs  7,9 MB  & Lilo issues a warning
(I didn't use your 'append/vga' lines).

>From my bit of experience so far, Ubuntu does look good for a beginner.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca