That's great so long as nVidia supports your card. The problem with the binary
drivers is that they typically only support a percentage of all the cards the
video maker makes.
For example, I can't use the ATI binary driver on my laptop since it no longer
supports the R250 chipset, only their latest 3 or 4 generations of cards. So I
have to use the OSS driver, which works great with it.
I have been able to use both the OSS and proprietary drivers on my desktop with
an nVidia card, but I don't know how much longer that will last.

nVidia's proprietary driver is good namely because it is the same at the core
as
on Windows and Mac, and they wrap it to make it work with the *nix kernels.
However, they also do a lot of other funky stuff and keep people from being
able
to fully use the full extend of X. Just search this list (among others) for
xRanderer and other components of X and you'll see the full story of nVidia's
proprietary driver.

Ben