cd /usr/src/linux

make menuconfig

edit the kernel options to set up the iptables parts needed in the
kernel (can't rememebr where they are - not just at my normal box atm)

then install the new kernel like you did originally

emerge iptables to get the user space tools to control the kernel
iptables chains.

--
Tim Igoe
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Computers are like Air-con, open windows and they stop working!"