On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 18:22 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 08/04/2010 02:14 PM, Xi Shen wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > after i setup lm_sensors on my gentoo amd64, i ran sensors, and got
> > the below output
> >
> > coretemp-isa-0000
> > Adapter: ISA adapter
> > Core 0:      +61.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
> >
> > coretemp-isa-0001
> > Adapter: ISA adapter
> > Core 1:      +61.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
>
> This is the sensor inside the CPU.  The kernel doesn't know how to
> interpret this value on non-mobile CPUs, and it's usually off by 10C to
> 15C on desktop CPUs.
>

> > CPU Temperature:   +49.0 C  (high = +90.0 C, crit = +125.0 C)
>
> This is the sensor on your motherboard that resides directly under the
> CPU.  This an accurate temp and the kernel knows exactly how to
> interpret the values.

This is windows specific but has lots on how Intel/AMD work.
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

This page seems to imply that Linux's use of coretemp is not as
"detailed" as available to windoze users and if an unknown cpu will use
a default value which may be incorrect.
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/hwmon/coretemp

The lm_sensor temperatures (and voltages) are always highly suspect,
usually being based on users experiments rather than manufacturer
information which is usually not available.  Also, I suspect variation
even between motherboards of the same type as sometimes the supposed
lm_sensors values for one of my systems (often cpu voltage) are not even
close.

BillK