On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 06:55 -0400, dhk wrote:
> On 08/05/2010 03:54 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 08:19:29 +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a way to log the boot messages - dmesg after booting up doesnt
> >> show module load failures and they scroll off the screen and I can find
> >> what they are.
> >
> > Set rc_logger="YES" in /etc/rc.conf to have the boot sequence logged
> > to /var/log/rc.log. This is for BL2, BL1 has a similar setting.
> >
> > It gives this output here
> >
> > rc boot logging started at Tue Aug  3 17:39:35 2010
> >
> >  * Setting system clock using the hardware clock [UTC] ...
> >  [ ok ]
> >  [ ok ]
> >  [ ok ]
> >  [ ok ]
> >  * Autoloaded 3 module(s)
> >
> > You can also increase the size of the dmesg ring buffer, which was
> > discussed on this list last month.
> >

> After booting try Shift-PageUp.  Hopefully your not booting to run level
> 5, if you are you need to get to the alternate terminal with all the
> messages on it.  Try Shift-PageUp before and after logging in.  The
> buffer isn't that big and I'd like to know how it can be increased so I
> can go back to earlier messages, but I haven't found that out yet.
>
> The Shift-PageUp may get you back far enough to see the message that
> scrolled by.

I didnt think gentoo uses runlevel 5 - you mean into X I think

I'll try that next time (not booting into X) and see what happens - but
I think it resets itself somewhere in the middle of the text as well as
scrolling off the top of the buffer - can be increased I think and
booting into single might stop the graphics reset.

thanks for the hint.
BillK