I have upgraded to gnome 2.30 and while there are a few rough edges, the
display is causing real problems.

When I am using a projector ("beamer" for the yanks here :) on external
vga and LCD at the same time, the screen sometimes treats the vga out as
a second screen (not a clone of the first which is what I want).  Its
random on how it happens.  Then if I start any application, Mr Murphy
will ensure it starts on the wrong output :)  I suspect running vmware
at some point before connecting the projector may have something to do
with it (has never happened unless I have run vmware sometime since
boot)

Earlier gnome (<=2.28) had a panel icon for managing the display but
this had dissappeared with 2.30.

so:
1. how can I manage the display from gnome 2.30
2. how can I fix the underlying problem of being cloned sometimes and
not others.
3. how can I do an emergency fix without having to restart X (maybe a
script/xrandr command if it exists?)
i.e., its somewhat disastrous to discover this at the start of a
presentation!)

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <bi...@iinet.net.au>