Bill,

The xorg version is 1.7.6 (no r# to the best of my knowledge). When I do emerge
it will re-emerge the 1.7.6 version and not the newer 1.8.2 version. The video
card is VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE
Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01).

I have not tried the mask suggested by other responders yet, but will soon.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dan