Eric S. Johansson wrote:

I'm helping some people using gentoo and one of the tasks is the production of flash memory updates for the firewall. The script for producing flash images contains calculations determining sector offsets so that the disk image can be treated as a partitioned disk.

Is there anyway to treat a file as if it were a physical disk from the partitioning through mounting of each individual partition and its unmounting? I can keep doing it the clumsy error-prone way if I need to him but I was just trying to find out if there was an option that reduced the opportunity for mistakes.

Maybe user-mode linux or vmware could be useful for this...

-Richard